English About Hanigah
KONYA SAHİP ATA HANİGÂH (DERVISH CONVENT)
Door, door place, threshold, door of high aut horities, dervish convent, hangah. The Word comes from Persian and it is expressed as “hangah”. This term is used as an expression of glorification and grace. When it is used with the Word Holy, it gains a meaning of “God’s Floor”. By the way, to glorify the places that belong to sovereigns, it is also used as “Dergah-ı Ali”. Hangahs are dervish convents. According to their way of use big dervish converts are called asitane, small ones are called zaviye. One of the most important examples of hanigahs Seljuk era is in KONYA.
This hangahs which has lasted till today is Sahip Ata Kulliyye, which is outside of KONYA city wall, constructed across the city wall door opening to Larende road (today’s Karaman). Kulliyye consists of mosque, tomb, hangah, stores, fountain and double hammam. The mosque which was constructed by Sahip Ata Fahreddin Ali to architect Kelük Bin Abdullah in 1258 (655 Hegira). Has taken its outlook today in 1871 after the repairs of the fires it has survived. A tomb which has a mummy floor below was added to the east side of the mihrab nosing, outside the kıblah wall in 1276 (675 Hegira).
According to the epigraph at the front gate, the 1279 (678 Hegira) dated hangah was added to the north wall of the tomb 21 years later. The date of hammam which is located at the east of hanigah is unknown.
Hanigah forms a plan with the rooms which take place on the both sides of the corridor, inner court in the middle and the tomb on the right side. On the both sides of the entrance of hanigah, there are iwan looking spaces which has arches.
On the south, West and North of the inner court which is at the axis of the entrance, there is the one iwan. There is a plaster mihrab at the south iwan. The walls of the iwan is decorated with tiles. In the middle of the courtyard there exists a hexagonal pool.
Hanigah has a typical Seljuk front gate. Ashlar masonry door niche with pointed arch which is decorated with colonnettes at the sides is surrounded with four separate ornamentation bands. Between the ornaments of this door. The niche arch adorned with vegetal strapwork is one of the rare examples of Anatolian Seljuk ornamentation. At the construction epigraphy which is located over the depressed arched door, it is said that this hangah was built by Ali, son of Hadji Ebubekir Zade Huseyin, in 687 hegira which dates back to sultanate of Gıasuddin Keyhusrev in order to be a place for righteous believers of God and Sufis who have a destination and fear of God. The penthouse with two wooden honeycomb work masts and which was in front of the hangah door no longer exists.
It is know that building was used as zaviye (cell of a recluse) until 1584 and Abdurrahman bin Ibrahim used to be the Sheikh. It was used as small mosque in 1923.
Sahip Ata Hangah which has survived till today with several ehanges is drawing attention by being the biggest with symmetrical plan amongst Seljuk Dervish convents and hangahs. This monumental structure which its architecture is unknown, is one of the most important works of art of its period with its partly survived tile decorations.
In consideration of its plan, with is central dome and iwan diagram on the same axis, the similarity with XI-XIII Century Middle Asian houses in the Merv and Tirmiz regions has raised the importance of Sahip Ata Hanigah for our history of Art and Architecture.